Alrighty, friends. No fluff in this post…let’s get right to it.
This is an unbelievably nourishing and tasty soup that is also very kind to your pocketbook, too. With just a few simple ingredients and a crock pot, you’ll be eating a lovely soup to warm and nourish your soul.
Poor (Wo)man’s Cabbage Soup
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 medium to large onion
- 1+ C homemade chicken stock
- 1 pkg bratwurst (4-5 of your favorite locally raised brats or a trusted brand w/no antibiotics or hormones raised on pasture)
- Garlic (fresh or 1t garlic like this, or more if you really like garlic)
- Sea salt & white pepper, to taste
- Coarsely chop your washed cabbage
- Slice your onion
- Place onions in bottom of crock pot
- Put cabbage on top
- Add seasonings
- Pour chicken stock over top (enough to cover everything halfway)
- Place bratwurst on top of everything (no, the liquid does not have to cover them)
- Cook on high for about 3 hours
- Remove brats, slice, then add back into your slow cooker
- Enjoy your cheap and nourishing meal!
Seriously, this is a frugal and delicious meal that will serve your family a few times for a few days.
Also, feel free to get creative! Add in any other spices that you love, possibly some carrots…yummo!
Until next time…
Jess, aka Scratch Mommy