It’s that time of year.
Yeah, you know…the time when uninvited guests creep and crawl their way into our homes. How Rude!
Spiders, ants, mice, and whatever else creeps and crawls through cracks (…shudder…).
Want to keep them out? Yeah, me, too. Do we want to use that highly advertised, big box store, corporate America poison? Heck No! I mean, I don’t want that stuff on my skin &/or in my lungs, let alone the skin &/or lungs of my 21 month old son!
Lucky for us, I have an all-natural, safe remedy that works well on the above mentioned rodents. Yes, a natural bug repellent to the rescue. Oh, I should mention…it’s super-de-duper easy, quite cheap to create, and highly effective. Keep reading.
Yes, Only 3 Ingredients!
- Water– H2O is an easy carrier for the following two ingredients.
- Vegetable Glycerine– This ingredient is created by adding alkalis to fats and oils (basically…alkalis are a base that can easily dissolve in water). Adding vegetable glycerine helps the third ingredient to “stick” to surfaces longer than it would if it were in water alone (because it’s acting as a carrier oil, or base).
NOTE: It is important to know from where your vegetable glycerin is sourced (especially if you have any allergies) to avoid GMO sourced glycerin). I use this organic vegetable glycerine, derived from non-GMO soy.
- Peppermint Essential Oil– Research has shown that peppermint essential oil does in fact deter the above listed rodents, and believe me (from personal experience of my lovely neighbors and me)…it does work.1234
NOTE: It is also important to know exactly from where your essential oils are sourced, and how. You want to obtain organic essential oils that are obtained through as little human manipulation as possible (read more about essential oils here). Also note that if you have cats you will want to be careful with essential oils, as they can be harmful to kitties. Do a quick Google search and see what you find.
I use a small 3oz. spray bottle for DIY projects like this. If you don’t want to use plastic and prefer glass (I understand…), check out this great post from Body Unburdened.
- Add 20 drops of peppermint essential oil to your bottle.
- Add 1 T vegetable glycerine.
- Fill bottle (almost) to the top with water.
- Spray around doorways, windows, and any other places where critters might try and enter your home. You can also spray around your patio furniture to keep them away (more than you’d be able to with not spraying).
Now, go deter those spiders, mice, & other rodents, my friends! Stay tuned to my blog to see how else you can use both peppermint essential oil and vegetable glycerine (I have LOADS of great DIY projects involving vegetable glycerine).
Need to get your hands on a non-toxic, effective bug spray for your body?
I have handcrafted “Bug Be Gone” Body Spray (organic, natural bug repellant) for sale in the Pronounce Skincare shop.
Until next time…
Jess, aka Scratch Mommy