Hot summer days call for easy, portable, make ahead meals, perfect for picnics, road trips, or casual get-togethers. What is the one type of meal that is perfect for those kind of days? Wraps!
Wraps are one of my favourite quick and easy meals to make. Not only are wraps more exciting than a boring old sandwich, there are a million types of wraps that you can make and they are easily customizable – which means that they’re a mom’s best friend! I’m not a fan of making different meals for each member of the family.
Sometimes it’s inevitable (I eat poultry, my husband eats fish, and my son is a vegetarian), but as much as possible we try to sit down to the same meal together. Wraps make that possible, with just slight modifications to the ingredients inside that make each family member happy.
This wrap is easy to throw together and even easier when it’s a make-ahead meal.
Just pre-grill all the vegetables and you’re looking at almost no prep for meal time!
It’s also full of important vitamins (like vitamins A, C, B6), minerals, and antioxidants, and is low in fat.
If you’re looking to add even more protein to this wrap, you could add grilled chicken, but I love this wrap full of yummy grilled vegetables, especially since it means it can stand up to a bit of summer heat without me worrying about the chicken going bad!
While I have made this wrap with store-bought hummus before and it was still good, homemade hummus is delicious, easy to make, and extremely economical, so I suggest you make it at home. My favourite hummus recipe is by the incomparable Mark Bittman, but feel free to use any hummus recipe that you like. Scratch Mommy also has a basic recipe or chipotle hummus!
These wraps taste great with room temperature ingredients, so nothing is too cold or too hot when you eat it. If you like heat, feel free to drizzle on some hot sauce before wrapping it up so it has some kick to it.
Hearty, healthy, and heartwarming, I’m sure you’ll love this simple and delicious eggplant and hummus wrap. One of my favourites that I’m sure will become one of your favourites too!
- 4 naans or other thick flatbread
- 1 med-large Italian eggplant, cut into ½ inch wide strips lengthwise (optional: peel your eggplant before cutting)
- 1 zucchini, cut into ¼ inch wide strips lengthwise
- 8-10 white mushrooms, whole
- 2 red peppers, whole
- 3-4 T oil (coconut oil and avocado oil are great for high-heat grilling!)
- 1.5 t oregano
- 1.5 t black pepper
- ½ c hummus
- Salt the eggplant and allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, wipe the water and salt from the top of the eggplant with a napkin.
- Toss all vegetables in oil and then lay flat.
- Sprinkle with oregano and black pepper.
- Grill or barbecue all vegetables until they are cooked through and have a bit of char to them.
- Slice mushrooms and peel and slice red peppers.
- Warm naan up slightly on a skillet and then spread 1-2 T of hummus down the middle. On top of this, layer one piece of eggplant, 1 piece of zucchini, mushrooms, and red peppers.
- Wrap the naan, using a toothpick to secure if necessary.