There are so many delicious potato salad varieties and this combination is right up there as one of the best! This beautiful red potato salad recipe is like a cross between a traditional potato salad and a creamy egg salad.
The made from scratch creamy dressing in this salad is a delicious mayonnaise alternative that includes just two nourishing ingredients – sour cream and plain natural yoghurt. You can make the dressing and enjoy it with this red potato salad or with your favorite salad recipe (we love it with Cauliflower Salad In a Jar).
This salad includes an element of every food group and is a meal in itself! In fact, I often send my Husband to work with this salad for lunch and it keeps him going in his physically demanding job all day. My kids are also fans of this super salad, even though it has little green specks in it.
We keep the skins on the red potatoes which brings fiber and flavor to the red potato salad. Make sure that the potatoes are chopped into roughly the same sized pieces so that they cook evenly. Once the potatoes have been chopped, cover with water and cook until softened.
As a side note – Did you know that whenever you cook root vegetables (potatoes, carrots, etc.) that you start the cooking process in cold or room temperature water, rather than boiling water to allow for even cooking of the vegetable? #NowYouKnow
In place of raw onions or scallions, I’ve opted for caramelised red onions. I much prefer the flavor of cooked over raw onions, and caramelised onions – even better! The red onions are cooked until they are translucent, slightly golden, and caramelized. This brings a sweet caramelized flavor to the red potato salad.
Once the potatoes and red onions have cooked and cooled, it’s simply a matter of combining the ingredients together in a large bowl and carefully folding in the home made creamy dressing.
Regarding the hard boiled eggs, I have omitted instructions for how to hard boiled eggs as we all have our own method. Briefly though, mine is to place raw eggs in a saucepan and cover with room temperature water. Bring the water up to the boil over medium heat and, once boiling, cook for 10 minutes then remove from the heat. Allow the eggs to cool in the water and, once cool, peel and enjoy your hard boiled eggs.
The simplicity of this red potato salad recipe means it’s also great for taking along to a pot luck or picnic gathering and is sure to be a real crowd pleaser.
- 1 kg/2.2 Pounds Red Potatoes
- Coconut Oil or Butter for frying
- 1 Red Onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- ½ Cup Plain Natural Yoghurt or Greek Yoghurt
- 2 Hard Boiled Eggs, peeled and sliced
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- 50g (a little over 1.5oz) Feta
- Handful of Chopped Chives
- Keep the potatoes unpeeled and chop into quarters.
- Place in a large pot, cover with water, and stir through a pinch of salt.
- Bring up to boil and simmer until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, drain, allow to cool and transfer to a salad bowl.
- Heat a little coconut oil or butter in a large frying pan. When hot add the sliced onions.
- Cook the onions over low to medium heat until softened and caramelised.
- Once the onions are cooked add them to the potatoes.
- Combine the sour cream and plain natural yoghurt together to form your dressing.
- Once the potatoes and onions are cool, add the sour cream dressing, hard boiled eggs, feta, chives, salt and pepper to the salad and toss to combine.
Here’s the video tutorial, so you can watch the salad being prepared, step by step: